Moving to Las Vegas
— Animal Laws 
  • Restraint Law: It is a misdemeanor for any animal to be at large within the city limits of Las Vegas.
  • Sanitation: Pet owners are responsible to keep their private property clean and free of animal waste and odor. Likewise, pet owners must promptly clean up animal waste from public property or the property of others. Failure to do so is a misdemeanor.
  • Barking Dogs: The owner of a dog that barks excessively or any noisy animal may be prosecuted criminally if the problem is not corrected.
  • Biting Animals: The owner of a biting animal is often civilly liable for personal injury. Depending on the circumstances, the other can be prosecuted criminally.

The Public Utilities Commission of Nevada (PUCN) supervises and regulates the operation and maintenance of utility services. Nevada residents are protected by the PUCN’s Consumer Bill of Rights, which is designed to make it easy to obtain utility services and to keep those services on. The Bill of Rights also recognizes that utilities provide vital services that must be made available to all.

As a consumer, you should be aware of the Bill of Rights and its provisions. It does the following:
  • Eliminates deposits unless customer has a poor credit history.
  • Limits size of deposit and allows for installment payments.
  • Requires utilities to offer a budget-billing program.
  • Requires payment plans for needy customers.
  • Offers special protection for the elderly and handicapped.
  • Postpones service termination when user health is at risk.
  • Provides third-party notice prior to service termination.
  • Allows customers to apply for service via phone or mail.

If you believe a utility is denying you a right covered by the Bill of Rights, contact the PUCN’s Consumer Complaint Resolution Division at (702) 486-2600 or visit the website at

Under the Nevada Attorney General, the Bureau of Consumer Protection (BCP) represents the public interest before the PUCN, federal utility regulatory agencies, courts and all other forums with jurisdiction over Nevada public utilities. The role before these bodies is to advocate for reliable utility service at the lowest reasonable cost particularly for residential and small-business customers of public utilities. BCP is actively involved in federal and state regulatory and legislative proceedings related to the restructuring of the telecommunications, electric and natural gas industries. To contact the BCP, call (702) 486-3132 or visit the website at

Before you call local utility providers to set up service, be prepared to provide information, such as the new service address, account holder’s name, Social Security number, previous address as well as the name and account number of the previous utility provider. You also may be asked for the account holder’s employment information and a valid Nevada driver’s license number.

— Electric 
In the Las Vegas area, electric service is provided by NV Energy ( If you’re asked to pay a security deposit, that amount plus accrued interest will be refunded to you after one year of service less the amount of unpaid bills, as long as you have no more than one returned check, no more than three late payments and no service disconnects. Deposits are based on the historic average monthly bill. If your residence does not have a previous billing history, NV Energy will charge $100 per service.

To avoid disconnection, deposits are due with your first utility bill after your service is connected. You also can arrange to pay your deposit as well as current charges in equal installments once you receive your first bill. NV Energy waives the deposit requirement if you provide a recent letter of good credit from your previous utility company. Call (702) 402-5555 for new service, moving, payment arrangement, billing and information about energy conservation.

— Water 
Since 1954, the Las Vegas Valley Water District (LVVWD) has serviced the water needs of Southern Nevada residents. The company currently serves more than 1 million customers.

Start Service
To start or transfer residential water service, call (702) 870-4194 Monday through Thursday from 7 a.m. to 6 p.m. For a $15 charge, you also can request same-day service before 3:30 p.m. (not available on weekends or holidays).

You may be required to provide a deposit of $150, which is due when you request service. You also can request service by visiting LVVWD’s website at or its offices at 1001 South Valley View Boulevard.

District water rates are regulated by law and can cover only the costs of water delivery and the maintenance and building of facilities. Rates are structured to encourage conservation—the more water you use, the more you pay. The district is the operating agency for the Southern Nevada Water Authority (SNWA), a regional organization that works to secure water resources for the Las Vegas Valley. SNWA also provides conservation programs for customers of member agencies. You can learn more at

You’ve determined that the time is right to ...
Your Toolkit to Prepare for Home Ownership For the ...
One of the most important decisions parents can ...
For serious foodies and shoppers, there is no ...
Learning Resources for the Entire Family One of the ...
Plugging Into the Las Vegas Job Market Your spouse ...
Your Guide to Financing a Home Although a ...
Quality Health Services for Southern Nevada Residents With a ...
Protecting Your Family and Property In this chapter, you’ll ...
Enjoying the Las Vegas Valley’s Unique Location The city’s ...
Managing Your Move to Las Vegas While just the ...
While many long-term residents are amazed by the ...
Staying Organized Before The Move You’ve just received exciting ...
Buying a House and Making it a Home While ...
Las Vegas—Renting and Leasing If you are relocating to ...
Nevada consistently ranks high among the favored states ...
Ease of Living With a View It’s easy to ...