Business Services
City of Las Vegas
Department of Finance and Business Services
400 Stewart Avenue
Las Vegas, NV 89101
(702) 229-6281
8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m., Monday-Friday

City of North Las Vegas
Business License
2200 Civic Center Drive
North Las Vegas, NV 89030
(702) 633-521
8:00 a.m. – 5:30 p.m., Monday-Thursday

Clark County
Business License Department
500 Grand Central Parkway,Third Floor
Las Vegas, NV 89106
(702) 455-4252
8:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m., Monday-Thursday

City of Henderson
Business License
240 Water Street
P.O. Box 95050
Henderson, NV 89009
(702) 267-1730
8:00 a.m. – 4:30 p.m., Monday-Thursday

State of Nevada (business license)
Nevada Department of Taxation
555 East Washington Avenue, Suite 1300
Las Vegas, NV 89101
(702) 486-2300
8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m., Monday-Friday

City of Mesquite

City Hall – Mesquite
10 East Mesquite Boulevard
Mesquite, NV 89027
(702) 364-5295
8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m., M – F

A business license allows operators to engage in the business for which they are licensed. Within 30 days of opening your business, you must apply for a general license. Within the city of Las Vegas, applications for a home occupation business may be filed at the Development Services Center at 731 South Fourth Street.

When applying for a business license, the applicant will be asked for copies of the following documents as applicable: Articles of Incorporation, Certificate of Fictitious Firm Name, State License Documentation, Insurance Binder or Letter of Intent, Original Bond, a letter of authorization, and a lease for use or proof of ownership of the business location.

In addition, applicants representing corporations should have the name, title, Social Security number, date of birth, citizenship, residential address, telephone number and percent ownership in the company of the top three corporate officers and the local manager. The name and address of the corporation’s Nevada resident agent is also needed.

Most business licenses in the city are general business licenses that can be issued within 30 days. Privilege licenses, which are licenses that require special approval by City Council, can take 60 days or more to acquire. These include licenses for: liquor, gaming, secondhand dealers, pawnshops, child care, locksmiths, burglar alarm services, gun sales and distribution, massage establishments, martial arts, psychic arts, pawnbrokers, auctioneers, mobile food vendors and mobile ice cream vendors.


Assorted government agencies have specific jurisdiction over various functions related to starting a business in Nevada. Refer to the list below to determine which government entity to consult for assistance:

— State Government
Forming a New Corporation
Nevada Secretary of State

Registering a Foreign Corporation
Nevada Secretary of State

Worker’s Compensation
Nevada Division of Industrial Relations

Written Workplace Safety Program
Nevada Division of Industrial Relations

Sales Tax
Nevada Department of Taxation

Business Tax
Nevada Department of Taxation

Other Taxes
Nevada Department of Taxation

Unemployment Insurance
Nevada Employment Security

Contractor’s License
Nevada Contractors’ Board

Motor Vehicles
Nevada Department Motor

— County Government
Property Tax
Clark County Assessor

Air Pollution Permits
Clark County Air Pollution

Fictitious Name
County Clerk

— Local Government
Business Licenses
Respective Licensing Agencies

Nevada is an “employment-at-will” state, meaning that an employer may terminate the relationship at any time and without any reason. The employer cannot discriminate based on sex, race, color, national origin, age, religion or disability. An employer is not required to give notice when an employee is terminated, and an employee is not required to give notice to an employer.

— Minimum Wage in Nevada
Effective July 1, 2009, the minimum wage in Nevada is $6.55 per hour with insurance and $7.55 per hour without insurance.

Regarding overtime, generally in Nevada an employer must pay time and one half of an employee’s regular wage rate whenever an employee works more than 40 hours in any scheduled workweek. In addition, employees who are paid a base rate of one and one half times the minimum wage or less per hour may be entitled to overtime if they work more than 8 hours in any workday. There are a number of exemptions to this rule and federal wage and hour rules may apply. For more answers to commonly asked labor questions, visit

You’ve determined that the time is right to ...
Your Toolkit to Prepare for Home Ownership For the ...
One of the most important decisions parents can ...
For serious foodies and shoppers, there is no ...
Learning Resources for the Entire Family One of the ...
Plugging Into the Las Vegas Job Market Your spouse ...
Your Guide to Financing a Home Although a ...
Quality Health Services for Southern Nevada Residents With a ...
Protecting Your Family and Property In this chapter, you’ll ...
Enjoying the Las Vegas Valley’s Unique Location The city’s ...
Managing Your Move to Las Vegas While just the ...
While many long-term residents are amazed by the ...
Staying Organized Before The Move You’ve just received exciting ...
Buying a House and Making it a Home While ...
Las Vegas—Renting and Leasing If you are relocating to ...
Nevada consistently ranks high among the favored states ...
Ease of Living With a View It’s easy to ...